Oceanside History Timeline

1798               Mission San Luis Rey Founded

1815               Present day church building completed

1834               Secularization of Mission property

1860s             Mission San Luis Rey falls into ruins

1870s             Township of San Luis Rey – early pioneer families move into valley

1882               Railroad construction begins from Riverside to San Diego

1883               Andrew Jackson Myers applies for Homestead Grant on what is now downtown Oceanside

1886               First church built, the Congregational Church on First (Seagaze) and Ditmar

1887               Bank of Oceanside is built along with the South Pacific Hotel

1888               City of Oceanside incorporates July 3, 1888

First pier is built on the end of Couts street, now Wisconsin

First train depot is built

1891               First pier destroyed by storm

1894               Second pier built at the end of Third Street, now Pier View Way.

1896               South Pacific Hotel burns down

1903               Third pier built, using railroad steel as pilings

1904               El San Luis Rey Hotel built

Oceanside Electric built below the bluff, provides electricity to downtown Oceanside and houses the Plunge

Dr. Robert S. Reid moves his family to Oceanside, longtime doctor who delivered most babies in North County for over three decades

Oceanside Library is established

1906               Present day Oceanside High School established

1908               Great fleet passes through Oceanside

1909               First graduating class of Oceanside High School

1911               Rosicrucian Fellowship headquartered in Oceanside

1913               Racing on beach from Oceanside to Del Mar

1916               Flood hits San Diego County

1917               First annual Bean Day

Hill Street is paved by Highway Commission

1918               Influenza outbreak affects San Diego County, quarantine called

1919               Prohibition begins, traffic from LA to TJ

1924               Palomar Theater Opens

1925               Old bank building torn down, new Bank of Oceanside built

1927               4th pier built

1928               Bank of Italy built

Strand paved

1929               First Fire Station built, designed by Irving J. Gill

1930               The Cottage Hospital opened on Second Street (Mission Ave) by Lillian Henman.

1931               The Americanization School is built by Irving J. Gill

1933               Oceanside Hospital is opened by Golda Lester Zahniser at 615 North Freeman Street

1934               New City Hall built by Irving J. Gill

1938               New Oceanside Hospital is built at Fourth (Civic Center Drive) and Summit

1942               Navy takes over Rancho Santa Margarita, Camp Joseph H. Pendleton

1946               War ends, troops return

Old Depot torn down, new Train Depot dedicated in December

1947               5th pier built

1950s             South Oceanside neighborhoods built and development goes eastward

1953               New Highway 101 opening

1960               Population 21,000

Mission Square Shopping Center – first shopping center in North County

1961               Groundbreaking for Oceanside Harbor Feb. 6

Tri City Hospital opened

Shopping center construction on Mission Avenue and Canyon Drive

Erwin Sklar is mayor

1962               Oceanside Fire Station No. 3 at Oceanside Blvd. open

1963               Oceanside Small Craft Harbor opened in June

Retirement community of Oceana developed

1964               Cornerstone laid for new Junior College, to become Mira Costa College

Groundbreaking for Cape Cod Village at Harbor

1966               Colonial Inn (formerly El San Luis Rey Hotel) torn down

1968               Howard Richardson is first elected mayor

1969               Vietnam War protests

The City population increased to 38,000

newly-created Convention and Visitors Bureau.

Ground-breaking ceremonies for A.C.D.C. for their new electronics plant.

Construction of Garrison Elementary beings and San Rafael opens

Plaza Camino Real Mall opens in March – businesses from downtown move

1970               Joe Balderrama Park opened

1971               Fire Station No. 4 on Thunder Drive

1973               Fire Station No. 5 on North River Road

1976               Heritage Park opened

Paul Graham Mayor

Pier damaged in storm, later fire destroys Pier Café

1978               Heavy rains bring flooding to San Luis Rey Valley

1987               6th Pier Opens, dedicated September 9th

Train Depot torn down, switching yards moved to Camp Pendleton

1988               Centennial Celebration

1990               New Oceanside Civic Center built