Oceanside Facts and Trivia
The Native Americans who lived here were called Luisenos, named after the King of France by the padres, who also named the Mission San Luis Rey.
Father Antonia Peyri founded the Mission San Luis Rey de Francia in 1798.
The Mission San Luis Rey became one of the biggest missions in all of California as was called “King of the Missions”.
Andrew Jackson Myers is known as the founder of Oceanside as he owned the first land and was said to have built the first house.
The fountain at the Civic Center is the location where Oceanside’s founder, Andrew Jackson Myers, built his first home.
Many of our streets are named after early settlers: Samuel Tyson, William Hunsaker, Archie Freeman, J. Chauncey Hayes, Magnus Tait, Andrew Jackson Myers.
A legend tells us that Oceanside really named itself. In early times, when the people were living on the ranches and in the valley, they would say they were going to the “ocean side”.
Oceanside’s first pier was built in 1888. The first pier was located at the end of Couts Street. Couts street was changed to Wisconsin in 1927.
On July 3, 1888, the city of Oceanside was incorporated.
At one time carnations were grown in and around Oceanside. One of our slogans was the “Carnation City”.
The City Flower was designated the Crimson Lake Bougainvillea on June 1, 1929 by the City Beautification Committee.
The City Seal was designed by Betty Graham, presented to the City Council in May 1942 and adopted by the City on June 10, 1942.
Camp Pendleton was named for Major General Joseph H. Pendleton. It was built on the lands of the old Santa Margarita Rancho.
The Sunshine Brooks Theater was originally named the Margo theater. The Margo theater was originally named for the Santa Margarita Rancho, but the name was too long for the marquis and the owner shortened it to Margo!
In 1987 Oceanside built its sixth pier. It is 1900 feet long, which makes it the longest pier on the west coast.
Douglas Fairbanks and Mary Pickford vacationed at our beaches during the 1920’s and named their camp “The end of the world camp”.
Barney Oldfield, Indianapolis 500 racer, raced on our beach from Oceanside to Delmar in 1913.
In 1942 Bob Hope ate dinner at Oceanside’s 101 Cafe.
Bing Crosby received a speeding ticket from Oceanside police officer Guy Woodward in 1936. He was fined $35.
During the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics, Prince Phillip and Princess Anne stayed in St. Malo, Oceanside’s exclusive community.
September 3, 1917 Oceanside held its first Bean Day, an answer to Escondido’s Grape Day.
Oceanside’s first cemetery was located where the Hungry Hunter restaurant now stands on Vista Way.
Vista Way was originally called Wall Street.
Horne Street is named after Col. Daniel H. Horne, who was Oceanside’s first Mayor.
Col. Horne was buried at his home on Horne Street (where the Mission Square Shopping Center now stands).
Director Cecil B. Demille stayed at Oceanside’s Beach Hotel in 1914.
Oceanside’s second pier, built in 1894 was called “the little iron wharf” as the pilings were made of iron.
O.U. Miracle, stamped on downtown curbs and sidewalks, stands for contractor Orville Ullman Miracle. His name was so unusual it was featured in the column “Ripley’s Believe it or Not”. O.U. Miracle once received a letter from South Africa simply addressed “O.U. Miracle, USA”.
Heritage Park was established in part to help celebrate the Nation’s Bicentennial in 1976.
Vernon Hall (not Dana) designed the flag and it was adopted February 27,1985.
Oceanside Boulevard was originally called Short Street, after a pioneer resident Montgomery Livingston Short.
Country singer Barbara Mandrell graduated from Oceanside High School in 1967. She was Miss Oceanside in 1965. She and her family performed at local bars and nightclubs, including the Normandy at 215 North Hill Street (Coast Highway).